Sunday, August 8, 2010

Shot in the Head and Left for Dead

Shot in the Head and Left for Dead
This gal’s name is Kimberley Brown – she’s the wife of Jonathan, one of our soldiers. In RS the other day, she related an amazing story about herself. She said she didn’t often tell her story, unless prompted by the Spirit that there’s someone in the audience who needs to hear it. Well, I’m sure I was “the one” who prompted the telling this time.

Kimberley was working in the small town near Tooelle, Utah as a sixteen-year-old, six years ago. She worked in a combination laundromat/tanning salon (I said it was a small town!) She was at work alone when a gunman came in and demanded money. She went into the office and handed over (about $60). He “thanked” her by shooting her once in the shoulder and once in the side of her head. Her long hair hid the site of the second wound. A customer came in a few minutes later, found Kim, ran to the restaurant across the street and dragged a customer over to go in and help, the EMTs came and she survived after many surgeries and months of rehab. Sad and horrific, but not that remarkable, right?
Wrong.
While sitting at her desk that morning, the thought came to Kim out of the blue that if a robber ever came into the workplace that she shouldn’t argue with him; to just hand whatever money there is over. An hour later, the scumbag walked thru her door.
Turns out that the laundromat customer had a strong urge while at home to grab a random basket of laundry and go downtown to wash clothes which she didn’t really need to do. When she walked in the front door, she felt strongly to walk to the back office to look for Kim. Normally the place was open with no one there and she’d never had any reason to walk into the always-locked office.
The man in the restaurant was a stranger in town. He’d just flown in from San Francisco and stopped to eat in Grant on his way to Tooelle for business. He’d walked out of his SF home early that morning to his car in the driveway, running late for his flight, yet felt prompted to return to his house, locate his consecrated oil and drop it into his pocket. He and the first EMT to arrive were able to give Kim a powerful priesthood blessing.
Normally the EMTs would’ve transported a non-life-threatening wound patient to the hospital in nearby Tooelle since all they could see was the wound in her shoulder upon their arrival. After assisting in the blessing, he felt prompted to have her life-flighted to Salt Lake. Back at the fire station he was severely reprimanded by his superiors for that decision.
Upon arrival, the gurney was lifted out of the helicopter, set down on the roof, and a waiting nurse probed Kim’s head, finding the second wound. She went to surgery – the neurosurgeon on call just happened to be on site, and he saved her life by attending to her immediately.
So, are all of these events coincidences? Maybe. But I think not. By the time she finished her story I was in tears. The RS lesson was on the power of the priesthood. Of course, I’ve never had doubts about priesthood power, but Kim’s experience just cemented the knowledge and testimony I’ve always had. I can’t adequately describe the feelings I had when I heard her story. I was barely able to choke out my question: “So, Kim, have you figured out why your life was spared that day? What special mission the Lord has in store for you?” She’s a lovely, strong woman who’s in physical therapy school, prompted by all the excellent care she received. I’m positive she’ll be an instrument for good for many long decades.
Oh, and the trigger-happy-sleaze-ball? There’s more. He jumped in his car, drove to the next town and took down a convenience store. Same MO. He walked in, told the young clerk to hand over the cash, and shot her in the chest. As he leaned over the counter to make sure she was dead, the girl’s father whispered in her ear: “Pretend you’re dead or he’ll shoot you again.” Her father had died three months earlier. So she lay very still. Meanwhile, someone heard the shot, called the cops and they roared up and ordered him out of the store. At that point he turned the gun on himself and took his own worthless life.
I’m hearing the most sad but faith-promoting stories lately. I’m just loving this mission experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment